Blogs! They’re everywhere! But what are they for? And can your business website benefit at all from them?
The answer is: yes. Businesses and brands large and small can reap great rewards from keeping an informative, engaging, well-written blog on their website. It doesn’t matter if you sell golf clubs or real estate, blogging will help your brand establish authority and increase web traffic. But how?
Why People Read Blogs
Blogs provide value. I don’t mean they’re chock full of coupons—although you could certainly include some. I mean you’re providing information and/or entertainment to your readers. People search the web when they have a problem or questions that they need solutions and answers to:
“What’s the difference between this car and that car?”
“What can I do to get rid of all this shoulder acne?”
“What is a blog and does my business need one?”
When your business is the one providing the blog that answers their query, you are providing value to the potential lead/customer that another business did not. This shows that you are a knowledgeable authority on the subject, which builds trust and rapport with the reader.
Making Purchase Decisions
One of the most common reasons people land on blogs is to assist them in making purchase decisions. You will see a lot of blogs with titles like:
“The 15 Best Thingamajoops of 2021”
“Doodads or Doohickeys? Let’s Compare”
“How to Choose the Right Gizmo For Your Lifestyle”
Oftentimes, the product description on a retailer’s website or just taking their word for it isn’t enough, and people simply need more information in order to make a decision. Blogs are just awesome for providing that information.
Another way to influence purchase decisions and persuade a customer to buy your product or service is to imagine any hesitations or concerns they may have that are preventing them from making the purchase. You can use comparisons discussing your product vs. another company’s, or just answer in FAQ format.
What Blogs Do For YOU
Now that we know what’s in it for the reader, what are the benefits of blogging for your business—beyond establishing trust and persuading people to purchase your stuff?
Web traffic. And the better your blog, the more traffic your site will receive.
Blogs increase traffic by means of SEO, or search engine optimization. That means that the content of a page affects how search engines like Google will interpret it as relevant to the search terms people type in.
The more people click on your site in the search results, the higher rank, or position, in the search results you will begin to appear.
Short-tail and long-tail keywords contained within the pages of your site also determine how high you rank in search results. An example of a short-tail keyword search might be, “Veterinary hospital”. Whereas a long-tail keyword search term could be, “Veterinary hospitals in Agoura Hills 91301”.
As you can imagine, you will be more likely to appear higher in the search results the more specific the search terms used. Your veterinary hospital in Agoura Hills might show up on the 49 bazillionth page of search results in a short-tail keyword search—but you should show up on the first or second page of results if someone searches for the long-tail keywords.
Another way blogs increase traffic is that they simply provide more pages and more content for Google’s site crawlers to index your site. The more pages you have, the more chances for your site to show up in search results and increase your organic traffic.
This study by Hubspot found that company sites that keep blogs have 55% more visitors than those who don’t, and 434% more indexed pages. That’s huge—and you need to get in on the action.
Tips for Successful Business Blogging
1. Hire a good writer if you aren’t one. Most business owners probably aren’t going to have time to keep a regular blog, and some of them aren’t the greatest writers. But hiring a good writer who is familiar with SEO will pay off in the long run.
2. Answer questions and dispel hesitations that keep people from purchasing your products—and establish credibility by showing your knowledge of the subject. If they have a problem, help them solve it!
3. Repurpose your blog content for social media, and encourage your readers to share articles on social media.
4. Engage your audience by asking them questions they can answer in comments, get feedback about new products or run giveaways. Provide value for them by sharing your expertise.
5. Keep your older blog content fresh by going back and updating and adding to it. It takes awhile to begin increasing your site traffic with blogs, but once they are posted, they are there forever to attract clicks in search results. Search engines like to see active sites with new content rather than static sites with nothing going on.
6. “Long-form” blogs = better search rankings. This simply means make sure your articles go into thorough detail about your subject and have a high word count.
6. End your blog articles with a CTA, or “Call to Action”, that will direct the reader to the next step they need to take in order to purchase or hire your services. (I’m about to do this here, myself!)
Ready to Get to Blogging?
As you’ve probably figured out by now, I offer all of the services described in this article: SEO blog writing, blog setup, keyword research, audience engagement, and blog maintenance.
Another vital service I provide is content repurposing—that means I take a blog I’ve written and create different graphics and captions from the main points for social media platforms. The more people who click to read your blog, the more potential leads, and the more your search engine ranking improves! The content can also be recycled at a later date by publishing new social media posts and graphics linking to the same blog.
I call what I do “Ghost Blogging”, which is exactly the same concept as ghostwriting—I become familiar with you and your product so that I can write as you in the “voice” of your company.
And now, as promised, here is my CTA:
If you’re interested in starting a blog for your business and need some help from a pro, contact me here or book a 30-minute phone consultation here. Let’s chat about how adding a blog to your website can seriously boost your business!